Thursday

US Open Preview

In the last few weeks I've been enjoying watching some of the fantastic hard-court action in the buildup to the US Open which starts next week, It always amazes me how hard the pros hit the ball, but still with such a high level of consistency. It's obviously a result of extremely good hand-eye co-ordination coupled with hours out on the practice courts.

I guess mere mortals like myself could certainly improve a lot if we put in the kind of time and effort that these guys and gals do. But you also have to have the right facilities, and most important, hitting partners. Even if I was to quit my job and put everything into developing my game (not going to happen, but a guy can dream...), this would be an obstacle. The traditional solution to the problem is hitting against a wall or with a tennis ball machine, although these are still a poor substitute for hitting with a real person. Mind you, at least ball machines are consistent and you don't spend your day waiting for the other player to get the ball over the net so you can have a turn. I must say, I could use a nice midrange machine like a Wilson Portable or Tennis Tutor - I'm sure it would make a huge difference to my game.

Anyway, I digress. I'm looking forward to watching some of the US Open. No doubt the TV coverage over here in the UK will be dominated by Andy Murray and whomever he's playing. Still, I guess he's got a pretty good chance, and probably needs to win a major soon before the weight of expectation from the British public becomes too unbearable. I've also been impressed with Roger Federer's play in the Masters events. To me he looks back to his best and seems to be playing with a freedom I haven't seen from him for awhile. Perhaps breaking Pete Sampras's record at Wimbledon has taken the pressure off him and he can just relax and play his game. I guess it also helps that Rafael Nadal has been absent for the last few months, giving him time to regain his number one spot and re-establish his dominance. OK, he's not as dominant as he used to be, but I reckon Roger's still the man to beat - if I were a gambler I would certainly put my money on him.

Who do you think's going to win, and why?

No comments:

Post a Comment